Texas law requires that most rental properties have certain security devices in place on the windows and exterior doors while a tenant is occupying the property under a lease.
In your situation, you should make sure that …
- Each exterior window has a window latch;
- Each exterior sliding glass door has a pin lock, and a handle latch or security bar; and
- Each exterior door—including a door between a living area and a garage, but not a sliding glass door or screen door—has three things:
- a doorknob lock or keyed deadbolt;
- a keyless bolting device; and
- a door viewer.
These devices must be installed at your expense before you have a tenant.
If you have addition questions about the responsibilities of your land lord contact a One House Realty Agent.